June 17th at 8:35am
CSA Newsletter 6-19-13
Our prayers have been answered! RAIN! and a few days of <90oF. Since it is very close to the longest day of the year, plants are putting on like crazy.
This week’s bags will have:
- Kale or Amaranth (spinach substitute)
- Fresh Herbs
If you are planning to do any preserving, canning, dehydrating, or freezing, start thinking about it now. Next week and the following 2 weeks will be the best time to get bulk products before it gets too hot, dry or the days get significantly shorter. I expect to have the following available in bulk in the next few weeks, watch the EXTRAS listings to begin ordering bulk items.
Bulk items will include:
- Roma tomatoes (think salsa, spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, tomatoes for soup)
- Green beans (canning is the best way to preserve summer flavor)
- Cucumbers (try refrigerator pickles for all the taste and none of the slaving over the stove)
- Eggplant (try caponata or baba ganoush)
- onions (canned carmelized onions anyone or Chef Guy’s famous pickled onions)
- Garlic (Paul’s favorite - pickled garlic)
- Turnips -and radishes in the fall (yes you can pickle them)
- Pumpkin, sweet potato or winter squash butter (in late summer/fall)
- Potatoes for old fashioned convenience food
- Beets - pickled or not, these are great for a quick winter supper salad
- Cabbage - homemade sauerkraut is fantastic and wonderful for you!
- Kale for kim chi
Stocking Up, and many other books and web sites are available now for the renaissance in preserving summer goodness in modern kitchens. New recipes have great combinations of flavors inspired by today’s chefs and our expanding experience with international cuisine.
The CSA keeps growing every week! Thank you for telling your friends.